Technical Services Engineer
Axios Systems is an international IT Service Management software company who develop, implement and support assyst, a sophisticated and high-value business software solution. We specialise in delivering Help Desk and IT Service Management solutions to large blue-chip organisations and to the public sector while offering world class, best practice consultancy solutions.
Axios Systems is headquartered in the UK with offices across the Americas, Europe, Middle East and Asia Pacific. The Technical Services team is part of the Axios Service Centre based in the UK and is responsible for the entire global infrastructure.
The team develop, support and manage services for our end users and customers world-wide, across a mix of both Windows and Linux platforms. The Technical Services remit is nothing but varied and runs from the desktop right back to the fibre in the comms room.
Axios Systems is currently recruiting for a Technical Services Engineer to join our expanding team.
- Play a key role in the maintenance, implementation and development of our growing Software as a Service (SaaS) platform.
- Work as part of a team supporting a mix of Linux and Windows systems as well as various database platforms.
- These systems include Windows 2008 - 2012, Windows 7, VMWare ESXi, SQL Server, Cisco Networking and Linux OS (Debian).
- Work to provide both on-site and remote support to end users and customers across all of our internal and external customer base.
- To work with the business to assess requirements for platform upgrades/deployments and work to plan, deliver and support these environments.
- To play an active part in supporting your colleagues and working closely within this team environment.
- Be prepared to step out of your comfort zone and develop your skillset – we’re a close knit team with a wide remit, we actively encourage personal development and skills transfer.
To undertake technical support and project work, including;
- Maintenance and support of our Software as a Service (SaaS) systems on a variety of Windows and Linux platforms.
- Use and development of scripting techniques and configuration management tools to support and manage our SaaS application delivery.
- Work in a small team to ensure cross-skilling of expertise.
- Progression of internal IT projects ranging from application rollouts to server, LAN and WAN upgrades.
- Maintain and support a variety of networking equipment including Cisco ASA firewalls and Cisco Catalyst switches.
- Providing diagnostic and repair services on a variety of database and application systems.
- Work within Incident, Problem, Change and Configuration Management best practise.
- Input to Capacity, Availability and Disaster Recovery programmes.
- A dedicated approach to maintaining documentation and configuration information –including asset management and technical documentation.
- Self-paced training to gain experience in areas requiring development.
- Potential requirement to take part in an on call rotation supporting critical systems and customers outside of the UK working day.
- Options for remote working and flexible hours.
- Technical support of the internal systems, including server maintenance, backups, tuning and diagnosis.
- Some requirement to performing desktop support on the internal Windows 7 systems.
- Working on customer sites from time to time, in the U.K. and overseas (this is historically very limited).
Skills and experience
|Minimum 2-3 years’ of working in an IT support environment||Any experience supporting the following:
• Windows server 2008-2012R2
• Windows 7 / 8 Desktop
|Exposure to MS SQL Server or other SQL based database environments||Any Microsoft certifications :
|Experience of working to project deadlines||Experience of any configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef etc.|
|Exposure to both:
• Linux OS (preferably debian based)
• Windows server (2008-2012R2)
|Working understanding of IT security best practice|
|Sound networking experience with an understanding of firewalls, VPNs and Load Balancers||
Any network certifications such as CCNA
|Ability to work as part of a team as well as being comfortable working independently where required||Any exposure to process automation via scripting eg:
|Comfortable with both local and remote desktop support on a Windows based desktop estate|
|Experience in creating and maintaining technical configuration and process documentation|
Successful candidates will probably be working in a technical support role either in a complex corporate environment, a managed service provider or a software development organisation.
This is a multi-discipline team and as such the role offers an opportunity to gain experience in all of the topics in previous sections. We work in a close knit team and as such a willingness to share knowledge and ability to communicate effectively is an important skill for this role.
This role will be predominantly focused around the support and development of our SaaS platforms with some input into the management & development of the internal server estate. There may also be a requirement to share in on-going workstation support incidents and general day to day internal support activities.
We work in a structured ITIL environment and therefore a working knowledge of ITIL, especially the relationship between Incident, Problem and Change Management, would be beneficial.
For this role it is essential that you have the ability to work as part of a team yet be happy to work independently when required. You must communicate confidently at all levels, be enthusiastic, flexible, career driven and responsible. You must have excellent organisational skills, exceptional project and time management, and have attention to detail with a high standard of English
There may be the opportunity to travel, world-wide, to perform diagnostic or installation tasks. Historically, this requirement has been very low – no more than a few days per year, however each candidate must have a current passport and no reasonable restrictions on visiting any specific country.
No CVs will be accepted from agencies under any circumstances.
For more information about career opportunities:
+44 (0) 131 220 4748
+44 (0) 131 220 4281