IT Systems Engineer - VMWare, Windows OS, SQL Server - Edinburgh
Axios Systems is an international IT Service Management software company who develop, implement and support assyst, a sophisticated and high-value business software solution. We specialise in delivering Help Desk and IT Service Management solutions to large blue-chip organisations and to the public sector while offering world class, best practice consultancy solutions.
Axios Systems is currently recruiting for a Technical Services Engineer to join our expanding team.
- Play a key role in the maintenance, implementation and development of our growing Software as a Service (SaaS) platform
- Work as part of a team supporting a mix of Linux and Windows systems as well as various database platforms.
- These systems include Windows 2008 - 2012, Windows 7, VMWare ESXi, SQL Server, Cisco Networking and Linux OS (Debian).
- Work to provide both on-site and remote support to end users and customers across all of our internal and external customer base.
- To work with the business to assess requirements for platform upgrades/deployments and work to plan, deliver and support these environments.
- To play an active part in supporting your colleagues and working closely within this team environment
- Be prepared to step out of your comfort zone and develop your skillset – we’re a close knit team with a wide remit, we actively encourage personal development and skills transfer
To undertake technical support and project work, including;
- Progression of internal IT projects ranging from application rollouts to server, LAN and WAN upgrades
- Maintain and support a variety of networking equipment including Cisco ASA firewalls and Cisco Catalyst switches
- Maintenance and support of our Software as a Service (SaaS) systems on a variety of Windows and Linux platforms
- Technical support of the internal systems, including server maintenance, backups, tuning and diagnosis
- Use and development of scripting techniques and configuration management tools to support and manage our SaaS application delivery
- Work in a dynamic team to ensure cross-skilling of expertise
- Providing diagnostic and repair services on a variety of database and application systems
- Work within Incident, Problem, Change and Configuration Management best practise
- Input to Capacity, Availability and Disaster Recovery programmes
- A dedicated approach to maintaining documentation and configuration information –including asset management and technical documentation
- Self-paced training to gain experience in areas requiring development
- Potential requirement to take part in an on call rotation supporting critical systems and customers outside of the UK working day
- Options for flexible hours
- Some requirement to performing desktop support on the internal Windows 7 systems
- Working on customer sites from time to time, in the U.K. and overseas (this is historically very limited)
Skills and experience
|Minimum 5 years’ of working in a complex IT support environment||Any experience supporting the following:
• Windows server 2008-2012R2
• Windows 7 / 8 Desktop
|Sound networking experience with an understanding of firewalls, VPNs and Load Balancers||Working understanding of Information Assurance and security best practice|
|Experience of storage area networks and/or VM clusters / HA||Any Microsoft certifications :
|Exposure to MS SQL Server or other SQL based database environments||Experience of any configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef etc|
|Exposure to both:
• Linux OS
• Windows server (2008-2012R2)
|Any network certifications such as CCNA.|
|Experience of working to project deadlines||Any exposure to process automation via scripting eg:
|Ability to work as part of a team as well as being comfortable working independently where required||VOIP / Lync|
|Comfortable with both local and remote desktop support on a Windows based desktop estate|
|Experience in creating and maintaining technical configuration and process documentation|
+44 (0) 131 220 4748
+44 (0) 131 220 4281